Sunday 6 April 2008

I’m not impressed.

After several months of negotiating, including a breakdown in communication (lost e-mail addresses – I should have taken note then), it was agreed with a US online radio station that I would be interviewed this evening for an hour. The subject was to be my Druid books and my beliefs. Not earth shattering, but it might have helped with sales and provided an hour of interesting conversation.

Because I have ME I rested all day (after a bad night last night). After my weekly treat of watching people dig holes in a field, I evicted one of the cats from my chair, prepared my notes, got everything organised, and waited for the phone to ring.

And waited.

And waited.

At two minutes past the programme’s start time, I began to suspect it was not going to go according to plan. I logged into the radio station and listened to the person who was meant to be interviewing me talking with someone else.

I was (a) disappointed; (b) annoyed; (c) and felt just a bit humiliated. I had told people I was going to be interviewed on radio. They tuned in. I wasn’t there. I was sitting looking at a telephone and it wasn’t ringing.

Now, I’m fairly easy going about most things, but if I make arrangements that involve others, I keep to them. It is my responsibility to do so. It is one of the tenets of my faith that I have that responsibility. Of course, I cannot now discuss that on radio, because people didn’t keep their end of the bargain.

They have been told, politely, what to do with their interview.

I shall get back to writing.

8 comments:

Ali said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have a very similar view on the whole issue of responsibility.

In fact, during my freshman year in college, I had set up a meeting to talk to one of the main professors in my department, to discuss plans for my major and what I wanted to do with my time at the college. I went to his office for our appointment, and he just never showed up, so I sat there timid and embarrassed for an hour. He was a big-to-do kind of guy on campus, and apparently too busy for one little freshman. So I decided not to have anything to do with him from then on. I never took a class from him or even exchanged more than a few words (okay, so maybe that was an overreaction ;).... But I ended up graduating valedictorian with distinguished honors--and he didn't get to take any credit for it! ;) So, as far as I'm concerned, that showed him a thing or two about responsibility. (It probably didn't, but you know what they say about the revenge of living well...)

Graeme K Talboys said...

Now that is impressive. Well done, you. The honourable path in many sense.

I won't get started on academics (some, not all)and their attitude to students, otherwise we'd be here all night.

Anne Brooke said...

I'm so sorry - what a nightmare for you. The media can be like that, sadly ...

Hugs

A
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Papoosue said...

How very inconsiderate and rude of them. I for one would have been thrilled to hear you being interviewed.

:-)

Graeme K Talboys said...

Bless you, thanks.

Lane Mathias said...

That's damned disappointing and I'm glad you told them what to do with their interview.

Grrr...

Unknown said...

How rude. Not surprised you told them what to with their interview!

Ál said...

It's really a shame that you get that rude behaviour from them. For sure you are a person who knows well his Druidry.