Saturday 19 April 2008

Er...





...I don't usually do this sort of thing, but as it is vaguely writerly, and as I've just finished some stuff, and as I was asked nicely (my thanks to tea and cake), here is a picture of my desktop. Boring, or what. The picture is by Richard Akerman. The giant icons are courtesy of V*st*, which changes their size from day to day, depending on which way the wind is blowing or some other technical reason.

I'm also adding seven things about me that you are unlikely to know and which will probably not be interesting enough to remember.

1 - I am right handed, but left footed.
2 - The first book I ever bought with my own money was the Observer Book of Astronomy.
3 – The first book I had published was written on an Amstrad PCW.
4 – The first book I wrote was handwritten in a foolscap pad. Which I lost on a train. Thank goodness. (I was 17, can you imagine how awful it was.)
5 – At Junior School I was a blackboard monitor.
6 – At Junior School I used to draw little spaceships and kept my pencil sharp so I could put in every single rivet.
7 – I have lost my obsession with rivets.

Fascinating stuff, eh?

PS - This is me at the Amstrad all those years ago:

7 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Love the desktop picture - it's really nice. Mysterious and atmospheric.

A
xxx

Graeme K Talboys said...

It is good, isn't it. I have a few pictures by him. They were done in the 70s, I think. This one is my favourite.

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Graeme, your Amstrad reminded me of my dissertation when I was at university. The dissertation was written on an Amstrad, and was about the Greek myh of Jason and Medea. Everytime I did a spell check the Amstrad asked if I'd like to change the Argonauts to Arsonists. It still has me laughing...

Graeme K Talboys said...

I have fond memories of my Amstrad - a word processor with no distractions (apart from its propensity to lose stuff off the edge of those tiny disks).

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Riveting.

Oh, wait...

Lane Mathias said...

Rivets??

My first computer was an Apricot. It had a diary and that's about all I think:-)

Love the photo:-)

Graeme K Talboys said...

It must be a frog thing.

And what is it with computers and fruit? Apricot, Apple, Blackberry. Mmmmm. That's make a nice crumble. Lashings of custard.